Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tutorial: Easy Heart Garland

Using the hearts I made from Post-it Notes, here is my first Valentine's decoration!
It hangs in the front window, swaying happily in the air conditioning draft, greeting friends that stop by.

Skill Level: easy beginner
Supplies:
paper hearts (great using felt hearts, too!)
thread in white or contrasting color
sewing machine or needle

To begin, gather up all your hearts. I used about 80 to make my garland.
Plan out the color order of your hearts, then lay out each color group of hearts in order. This will make the sewing go faster. Leaving about 6-8" of a thread tail insert the needle in the top center of your first heart. Stitch down the center of the heart.
Stitch an additional 2 stitches after you've reached the end of the first heart, then line up the 2nd heart and continue down.
Continue stitching each heart in your color order until you've used up all your hearts. Leave a thread tail of 6-8 inches at the end of the garland. Using the thread tails on each end, tie a knot close to the heart to secure each end.
Hang your garland in the window, over a doorway or draped along a mantle. You're done!


6 comments:

  1. What a cute idea. Maybe I'll try one. Do you think my boys would like to help me? They'd probably like a chance to get in touch with their feminine side, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh of course!! Boys just LOVE hearts, right? :) haha Maybe just tell them that they're exploding hearts or something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet! Even I could do that! Haha! Nice Featherweight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I love my little Featherweight sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE these!!!! Especially love how they shimmer and wiggle when a breeze catches them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I don't know if you collaborated with mom and Heidi on these valentine's garlands, but mom and Heidi made me one and sent it to me and I love it! They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete