Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

Guitar Blues

I am LOVING my guitar class!! Learning to play the guitar is one of my dreams and it fits so nicely into the degree I'm working towards (Early Childhood Education) since I can play songs for the children that I enrolled in a guitar class this semester. We're several weeks into the class and I've learned so much! I'm actually starting to sound a little bit like I know what I'm doing! I'm learning the classical guitar style so it's mostly all finger-picking (as opposed to using a pick) and we play both the melody and the bass parts with our right hand simultaneously - fingers play melody + thumb strumming bass. It's really cool!

My guitar looks like this one and sounds so rich and full. I love it!

So one of the first songs I learned was a blues piece called the Blues 4-Beat Lick. I've played it for the children in our child care and preschool and they just love to dance around to it. I've also played a few of the classical pieces at the end of lunch and beginning of nap time. It's so peaceful and beautiful that it really helps calm them down and lull them to sleep.

Anyway, there's an update on working towards my dreams. :)

4 comments:

  1. That's awesome Kristi!! Can't wait to hear you play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you were learning to play--how cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was painful the first few days until the callouses built up on my fingers, especially since I'm playing on steel strings (as opposed to nylon). But now it's just about practice, practice, practice. Or, as my professor says, "you gotta get the stupid out of your fingers. you may be smart, but your fingers are dumb as rocks. they gotta get smart." he's quite the character. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck - can't wait to see you teach kids to sing like Maria Von Trapp!

    ReplyDelete