Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Bali Day 2: To Market, to market...

Of course, the first store I come across in Bali is the Bali Mac House!! Yeah!

Think Americans are lazy? At least we get in our cars and drive to a McDonalds! haha

Our first line of business was to get some food and snacks for the week so we wouldn't have to eat out all the time. We found two grocery stores: Makro Market and Hypermart.

Inside of Makro Market, they have they latest fashions. Looking good, James!

Might get a bit warm in this heat, but at least I wouldn't have to do my hair!

Produce section inside Makro Mart

Hungry? Dead fish, anyone? No?

How about some live fish, then?! You pick it, we skin it!

Yes, this is a bucket of fresh eels. Wish you could've seen them squirm. Yum!

Squid. Um...don't think I can eat Calamari again...

Went to buy some shampoo and conditioner and found these little packets. Each packet = one use. Kinda neat.

We settled on getting some Peanut Butter and Jelly to make sandwiches all week. Of course, we had to go to the International Foods section like we thought. They had Skippy's and Smakkies.

Never hear of Smakkies peanut butter before? Are you sure? It was voted BeAlign Centerst Peanut Butter in USA!! Um...right...

This cracked me up! So, in the aisle where you would normally find weight LOSS items, they have weight GAIN stuff! People here WANT to weigh more! The frowning skinny guy just cracks me up!

Make your own pizza for $3.50 and get 5 toppings - not a bad price. My favorite is the Tuna/Corn/Boiled egg combo, maybe with some paprika! Mmmm!

We decided to give McDonald's a try just to see the difference. The meals are about $3.50 and the McFlurry is $0.70. Not too bad. JP was suspicious about the meat though. Neither one of us felt very good afterwards. Ug.

They have some pretty funny names for businesses and stores. This is one of my favs - haha


7 comments:

  1. It wasn't beef at McDonalds, I'll tell you that much. Maybe dingo or alley cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darrien says "It't cool, I wish I was there."
    Jacob says " I miss you and I like all the pictures that you are sending."

    Kyle says. I domt't want to tell them anything I want to play with the camera."

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha thanks, Claudia! Tell the boys we say Hi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so interesting!!

    Yeah what is Smackies Peanut Butter? Never heard of it. Maybe best not to burst that bubble! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know!! It totally made me think, though, about how many times we Americans have fallen for the same trick: "oh, yeah this is #1 in another country" haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course I love the photo of the Mac store! I'm pleasantly surprised by how neat and clean the markets are--nice.

    ReplyDelete